Friday, July 30, 2010

Coffin Fly

This is a pattern I more or less came up with on my own. First time tied, never tried, but I'm pleased with the outcome..

I looked at a lot of pictures, and from my limited experiences, the majority of Coffin Flies I've seen have not had their wings in an outright spent position like a standard spinner pattern, which influenced this tie.

Without any further hold up, I present my Coffin Fly...


Hook: Size 6-10 2XL
Thread: White 6/0 for Body, Black 8/0 for thorax
Tail: 3 strands of Moose hair
Dubbing: Cream antron for body, black for thorax
Hackle: Grizzly, clipped underneath
Wing: 2 strands of white antron yarn, 1 strand of black antron yarn

I tied in the wings at roughly a 45 degree angle, and for the material I used two strands of white antron and one strand of black antron. I also included grizzly hackle at the thorax which I trimmed down significantly underneath. I tied this particular one in a size 10 2XL.

Green Drakes and Coffin Flies have obviously come and gone for the year, so unfortunately this pattern won't make its stream debut until next May/ June. When that time comes however, I'll be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment