Thursday, July 29, 2010

I Don't Know Where I'm Going, But I Get There...




... Sometimes I'm wondering where will it be?
To quote one of my favorite bands, Assembly of Dust, head manned by Sir Reid Genauer, these lyrics epitomize this day.

Sometimes you just have to get away, just find a place in which you can transcend to something greater than yourself. I was looking for a "destination" off the beaten path, a place that I could go to and just get lost in my surroundings. To reiterate the aforementioned quote, when you don't know where you're going, how do you know when you've reached your destination? The truth is, I wasn't exactly sure where I was going, but I got there... and I found exactly what I was looking for.
Batman nymph

You know you've found a special place when you arrive on a beautiful saturday to find you are the only one on the water. On top of that, I was fishing a pure wild trout stream nestled deep in the woods. I did some considerable hiking alongside the stream and found a ton of good water along the way. The scenery made the trip worthwhile, with some wild browns as an added bonus. I saw a single Iso come off the water, which was enough for me to tie on a size 14 parachute adams. I was fishing a dry/ dropper combo all day and never even took off the adams. I fished 3 nymphs, your standard hare's ear, a red copper john size 20, and the third I'll refer to as the wild card. It's called the batman, and I ordered it from a shop in Utah specifically for water like this. The fish went absolutely crazy for it.

I wound up bringing nine fish to hand on the day, which was one of my better days on the year. The fish were small, but they were colored up very nicely. It was awesome to find a stream like this, and I'll definitely be returning.

This stream had everything from...


Gorgeous pockets to...


Beautiful short runs to...







Large pools (relatively speaking of course) to...  

Even some small cascades and...

Small wild brown trout to...


Slightly larger wild brown trout to...

Even larger wild brown trout (relatively speaking of course)

No comments:

Post a Comment